Saturday, March 27, 2010

Is your next passion sitting on the back burner?

Do you ever feel like in the busyness of life, you're always putting things on the back burner? As in, someday I'd like to learn how to paint, when I have the time. "The time" is an undetermined point in the future that can be weeks, months, years, or never. How many times does this thing always stay on the "back burner" and never come to fruition?

For years, I had wanted to take a cake decorating class. I missed an opportunity to take one right before I moved to Colorado Springs, and then I never got around to doing it once I relocated. Last winter, I was experiencing a bit of a lull -- no exciting trips to plan, not much going on. And I remembered how much I wanted to take cake decorating, so I used Christmas money and signed up for a class at Hobby Lobby, a nearby craft store.

I ended up taking two 4-week courses in a row, and ended up unearthing a new favorite hobby! I learned how to make borders, roses, basketweave, you name it. And I also started learning more about baking cakes -- what makes them fall apart, what makes them moist, how can you add ingredients to cake mixes to make delicious flavors. Before I knew it, I was making cakes for friends and family: birthdays, bridal showers, baby showers, graduations.

I realized that by doing cake decorating, I was combining several of my passions:

  • I love baking and enjoy the challenge of trying new recipes.
  • I reconnect with my artistic side by creating new and unique cake designs.
  • I enjoy blessing people with cakes in their honor (gift giving and acts of service are my love languages).
Now, why didn't I do this years ago? If I had known how much joy I would receive, and give to others, perhaps I would have. But you never know until you take the initiative to pull things off the back burner. What is on your back burner right now? Is it time to just take the plunge and do it?

Next on my horizon? I just might take up the violin. One of these days.





3 comments:

  1. I agree!

    What do I have on the back burner? Other than getting married I have been progressive in how I approach life the last few years. Many people are not like that.

    The other day, Katie B. and I were having a conversation about doing things when you are young... like going to Hawaii or hiking mountains. Because a lot of people save up money to do that kind of stuff later... but who really wants to start learning how to surf at the age of 90? A lot of people work and save to do stuff later, but never get around to it.

    Carpe Diem!!

    ~ Craig

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so tallented my friend. I love how your cakes work, and I know that many people are blessed with them. I totally think you would have a blast doing the Violin as well. YOU GO GIRL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite is the Noah's Ark cake! One of these days I will follow in your footsteps and actually take a decorating class too! Go for the violin my friend....that's always been something I dreamt of too....in my past life. Ha!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on my blog post. All comments are moderated, so you won't see them show up right away. I reserve the right to edit or decline them if any offensive wording is used, so please keep your comments PG-rated. :-)